Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sum sum summertime...

It's that time of year again.  Those few weeks I feel like cursing my two algebra teachers (also among my favorite teachers, by the way) for so strongly discouraging me from becoming a teacher.  Because after all, why ever would someone good at math actually consider teaching it?  But I digress.  Because it isn't visions of cultivating a love of math and learning that swim through my head.  It is visions of, well, swimming... or rather lounging by a pool all day as I glance up to see my offspring having the time of their lives.

Never mind that I get paid more than most teachers I know.  Never mind the two days per week I get to work from home.  Never mind that I have stayed at home with my kids full-time a few different summers (and didn't spend all that much time lounging by the pool after all, all while I was probably jealous of the work-for-pay moms).  Never mind that I'm not even very good at "lounging" or relaxing for all that long anyway.  For a short time each year, I'm jealous of all you teachers and stay-at-home-moms.

In this ever-connected world, I see your posts about not setting alarm clocks, summer road trips, and schedule-free days, and I sigh.  I want that.  And I want my job, too.  At least, I would want it again after a few months off.  Why do we as humans want it all?

I am so much more content than I was in my teens, 20s, and 30s.  Whenever I stop to think about it, I know that I already have all I ever dreamed of.  I have more than 90% or more of those walking this earth. And, most of the time, that's more than enough. But then something shiny catches my eye (and since I like tech gadgets, this statement is very literal sometimes), and I want it, too!

 I think I even bear a slight resemblance to dear Veruca Salt of Willy Wonka fame:



















And sometimes I wonder if that's how God sees me - as an unappreciative, spoiled brat.  I have so, so much, but I keep wanting more.  All while I usually feel best when I want the least.  I'm learning contentment, but I'm not sure that I'll ever really get there completely.  Thank goodness for God's grace.

So, I may still feel a little jealous this summer, but I'll also stop to remember and appreciate what I have.  And that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment