Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

It's been a looooonnnnnnggggggggg week!

So far, the only bad decision it seems like we've made with this whole move is our choice of where the kids and I should stay until they finish school.  We chose the $1,200 a month extended stay efficiency apartment rather than the over $2,000 a month one-bedroom apartment.  I have a little trouble not resenting Darrell's stay in a 3 bedroom condo.  The only benefit is that I get to sleep on a real bed, and work in a real chair at a real desk (since I'm working from "home" for now), while he sleeps on an air mattress and sits at a folding chair at a card table.

First, the room does seem clean, and the few times I've called them to clean something better, the staff here has been very responsive.  But, I guess they didn't get the memo that smoke rises.  The smoking floor is on the first floor.  We're on the third floor, but walking up and down the stairwells reeks of smoke, and even our clothes are starting to very slightly smell of stale smoke.  For a person who has never let a cigarette touch her lips and has mild asthma, this is a pretty big annoyance, and one I wish I'd noticed when I came to look at a room before we moved in.

Second, the typical clientele is not the same as the neighbors I am used to.  A guy flirted with either myself or my daughter on our way in one night.  As he appeared to be in his mid to late 20's, I was horrified either way.  Either he was being totally inappropriate flirting with a teenage girl, or he was trying to get too friendly with an older woman, and neither seem good to me.  Also, my car was hit sometime last night, and of course no one left a note, or reported it to the front desk.  The damage isn't horrible, but it's Darrell's car (our newest), and he's pretty particular about it.  He didn't seem as upset as I was when I called him about it this morning though.

And, there's "free" wireless internet, but the free version is extremely slow, and the "high speed" (read, livable for working and web surfing, but still not fast enough to stream Netflix for the kids) requires me to pay per device rather than sharing the higher speed over several computers, phones, and/or tablets.  This means I've already paid twice ($60 total) just for this month.

We're also right along a major road, so goodbye heading right out the door to go for a nice run or walk.  I miss our kitties and Lexi, too.  I try to get over to run with Lexi a few times a week, but I miss having her right here with us and the convenience of heading out with her at the spur of the moment when I can just fit in a quick run.

And yet, I know these are such minor problems in the grand scheme of things.  Most of what I will think of when I think back on this time is how smoothly every step of this move has gone.  From selling our house in just a few weeks, to missing out on one house in Indy so that we could buy a better one instead, to finding and starting a new job in my field before the kids and I even get up there, to getting to spend a little extra time with friends here because we aren't moving up until the end of the school year...  It's just all fallen into place so well.

Four more weeks.  I can live in this place for that long.  All over the world, most people make do with much less.  And even if we have to cover $1,000 worth of damage to Darrell's car (our deductible), my next paycheck with be more than that, and isn't currently needed for anything else.  It's a great feeling to have the relief of knowing that God has been watching out for us, of knowing that bad things will still happen, yes, but that we can get through them.

I just want my hubby back more than just weekends.  Home is wherever we are all four together, and I can't wait until that happens in four weeks!  In the meantime, today is Friday.  Darrell will be on his way to us soon, and we have the weekend to spend together.

No comments:

Post a Comment