Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Third Kid

In many ways, men don't really ever grow up.  Many still like toys, they are usually the "fun" parent, and they have trouble juggling multiple tasks at the same time. 

Once Darrell and I had our second child, we fell into the habit of saying that he was my third kid.  I joked that I wanted three children, and so I now had them.  When he'd do something not very adult-like, that became our go-to phrase of explanation.  But it quickly started to be an excuse.  And the true kids in our house started thinking it was funny.  AND, the more we called him my third kid, the more he seemed to act like it and the less I felt like giving him the respect my husband deserves.

So, my best advice is, don't try this.  Learn from our mistake and treat each other like two competent adults and parenting partners.  Yes, even if one of the two fits right in with your actual son playing Legos and gets upset when he loses at Monopoly.

No comments:

Post a Comment