Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You can look, but just don't touch...

We all grew up hearing that, didn't we?  Walking through a nice department store with our mothers, visiting a great aunt's house who had a lot of nick nacks on display, etc.  But I think some men, and even some women today, take that rule from our childhood a bit too literally and somehow think that it's ok to ogle the opposite sex.

Ok, so I know we don't become blind just because we get married.  I'd go so far as to say it's healthy to appreciate (in a general sense) those around us who look good to us.  What I am talking about is when you go a little (or maybe much) too far, nearly undressing someone (besides your spouse) in your mind, or even staring at body parts you should not be staring at.

What does the Bible say about it?  "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.'  But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."  (Words of Jesus from Matthew 5:27-28)  Well, that seems pretty clear to me.  I even find myself wondering how many affairs began in the mind.  I mean, that's where anything starts, right?  With an idea of what could be, wondering whether something else is better than what you already have, etc.

I choose to believe I have the best.  My fantasies are about my husband.  No, I won't share them with you.  But, I think it is similar for Darrell.  I have never, even once in our over 22 years together, caught him staring inappropriately at another woman.  If he's ever done anything like that, he is very good at hiding it from me and from anyone else around him, but I honestly believe that he really does have eyes only for me.  And it's one of the things I love most about him.  It's one of the reasons I knew he was the man I wanted to marry.

So, don't touch what isn't yours, but don't look too closely either.  At least that's my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment