Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Learn to Hug

I think hugging is a very under-rated skill.  I am quite sure that one of the reasons I fell in love with Darrell is because he is the best hugger I've ever met.  He has strong arms and I melt right into his shoulder.  If he is hugging me, I feel confident in that moment that nothing in this world can hurt me.  I can sometimes tell just by his hug whether he is happy, worried, upset, etc.

Kissing is nice, and we're not afraid to kiss in front of the kids - it's actually become a fun way to watch our teenager run from the room screaming "eeeeeeewww!!!!!".  And yes, sex is important to a good marriage.  But, hugging is the thing I don't think I could give up, and the form of contact I know that I would miss from him the most if I lost Darrell.

It's also one of those things you don't even know is great until you experience it.  My family isn't big into hugging.  And I have lots of memories of awkward hugs with a great aunt who put a lot of love into it, but it just seemed embarrassing to me.  Darrell's parents even hugged me the first time we met, and I thought that was really weird.  But, I learned the value of a good hug from Darrell.  I don't hesitate often anymore to reach out and hug a friend.  I doubt that I'm as good as it as Darrell is, but I now know how much compassion can be included with a hug.  It's something you can give a relative, a friend, your kids, your spouse, or even a stranger in need that really lets them know you care. A hug is one of the few things you really can do for anyone.

And so, I'm sold.  I think hugging is one of the best physical expressions of love that we have.  And as soon as my hubby walks in the door today, I'm going to get one of the best hugs this world has to offer.  I may even try to get a hug out of my teenager.  I hope you have a good hugger, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment