Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Two Sinks in the Master Bathroom

Maybe it's just us, but our marriage works better with two sinks. 

In our first house, we had only one bathroom with a tiny sink.  I would typically start getting ready for bed first, and as you should know, this process is a little longer for women than men.  It never seemed to fail that somewhere in this process, Darrell would come into the bathroom to brush his teeth.  He'd start off behind me, then beside me, and I swear before I knew what was happening, he'd be in front of me and I'd be trying to figure out how to finish up without good access to the sink.

Now, I should also say that we've never had a closed door policy between us when it comes to the bathroom.  I have a theory on this that most good marriages are open enough that each partner can go to the bathroom comfortably with the other in the room.  It may take some time together before this is the case, but after several years together, do you ladies really think that he doesn't know what goes on in there?  I'm sure there are folks that could prove me wrong, but really, I don't want to go into enough details to prove my point anyway.

In our second house, we had multiple bathrooms, but the master bathroom was still very small with only one sink.  I have to admit that I love multiple bathrooms in a house anyway.  It's a luxury that many of us take for granted, but isn't it great when you stop to think about it?  My parents are currently remodeling their main bathroom.  Now, they have two others with toilets and one of the others has a bathtub, but no other shower.  Yes, folks, that means nearly a month of no real shower.  And I found myself thinking that I didn't know if I could put up with that, until I thought for a few minutes about all the people in the world who have so much less than that.  Yes, I need to be brought back down a few rungs every now and then.

Our third house had an even bigger luxury though - two sinks in the master bathroom.  Ah, this is what peaceful marriage is all about.  Darrell and I could each brush our teeth in the same bathroom, but at different sinks.  We could chat while getting ready for bed, without me wanting to throttle him for usurping my sink time.  Ah...

There are a lot of things we look for when buying a new house.  After all, we're on our sixth one.  But, I will tell you one that makes me happier than many other things - our two sinks in the master bathroom.  Just one little piece of our married bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment