Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Understand when it's just a misunderstanding

Darrell has a cold.  His voice sounds totally different than normal (at least to me).  A friend said that he has a "deep, sexy voice" right now, but to me, he just sounds different.  It's funny how accustomed to someone you can get after more than 20 years together.  I didn't even realize how much meaning I put just into the tone of his voice.  Usually, I'm pretty accurate.  I can tell within a few seconds if Darrell is upset, stressed, hurt, happy, etc.  Sometimes I can tell just by looking at him, but once he says a few words, I'm sure.  But today, we ended up in an argument, in large part because I thought he was being a jerk, not so much based on what he was saying, but the way I thought he was saying it.  Once I stopped and thought about it, I realized that most of the reason was just because his voice sounds so different right now.  I don't think he meant to sound mean (which he said at the time, but I guess I just didn't believe him).  Anyway, I learned a new lesson today through this.  Sometimes it surprises me that I can learn new things about a relationship after so long, but I often do.  That's just one of the many things that makes a long-term marriage interesting.  I like it.  I think I'll keep him : )

No comments:

Post a Comment