Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

One of the ways I knew I really loved Darrell was to be away from him.  New love is a little overwhelming.  We both wanted to be together as often as possible.  We ate together, we walked to classes together, and we probably nauseated our roommates and others on our floor by being together so often. 

But we also had to be apart sometimes early on in our relationship, and it gave me a lot of time to think.  I tried imagining my future without Darrell.  I tried imagining my future with him.  By the time I was imagining what our future kids would look like, I'm pretty sure I knew this was the guy I wanted to share the rest of my life with.

I'm not afraid to be without Darrell from time to time.  I go on trips, whether for business or just alone with the kids, without him.  Darrell has moved to a different state in advance of us a few times.  I like GNO's from time to time.  I'm somewhat of an introvert, so there are even times I crave being completely alone for a while.  But, if we are apart for more than a day or so, I miss Darrell.  I find myself wishing he were in the same room to tell him something.  I find myself realizing that he helps out with the kids more than I sometimes give him credit for when we are together.  I just miss knowing that he is close by.

I've never understood those couples you hear about that work together and are together constantly each and every day.  I've also never understood the couples I know of that seem to hardly spend any time together at all.

I think it's good for us to be apart for a little while sometimes, but definitely not for too long either.  Maybe a better title for this post would be:  Absence, in small doses, makes the heart grow fonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment