Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

What about Dad?

In general, I don't think dads are given the credit or even the chance they deserve in raising kids.  I know and respect that there are definitely situations where the dad can't be fully involved or even present in raising kids, but that doesn't make it an any less important job than motherhood. 

I can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up without my dad.  He taught me to stick with things I'd committed to, even when the going got tough.  He encouraged me, rode a bicycle beside me sometimes when I ran, came to my track and cross country meets, watched me perform in dance recitals, band, etc.  He's not the easiest man to talk to, but he was always there for me.  I watched him overcome his own struggles, from injuries to succeeding at an entirely new career.  He showed me by example that you can do things on your own and with the help of a supportive family that seem impossible at the time.  I love him for all of this and so much more.

I can't imagine raising my kids without Darrell.  I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I find myself thinking that he doesn't do enough helping out with the kids.  And then he goes on a business trip, or I take the kids somewhere without him.  He changed diapers even though he didn't want to, sometimes he was the only one who could get Hunter to go to sleep as a baby, and he brought each kid to me in the middle of the night to nurse (he's a much lighter sleeper than I).  When I leave him alone with the kids, he doesn't do things my way, and it took me a while to figure out that my way wasn't the only right way.  They shower less often when I'm away, eat out more, and stay up later.  But, they do all that with a daddy who loves them unconditionally, just like I do. 

I am so grateful not to be a single parent.  Thank you, Dad and Darrell.  Thank you to all of the wonderful dads out there.  Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment