Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

And another one bites the dust...

I have no idea why, but when I heard about yet another long-term marriage breaking up recently, this is the song that started playing in my head:

"And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust

How do you think I'm going to get along,
without you, when you're gone
You took me for everything that I had,
and kicked me out on my own

Are you happy, are you satisfied
How long can you stand the heat
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust"

I'm not really a Queen fan, but this song came out in 1980, just about the time I started caring what kind of music I listened to.  I played it often on my tape recorder/player, which looked something like this:


And I had to hold it up to a radio just to record songs.  My, how times have changed.  But, I digress...

Any time I hear about a marriage breaking up, two things happen:  I am saddened and feel for the family involved, and I take a closer look at my own marriage and wonder if things are really ok with us.

While I don't typically recommend divorce, I've seen some examples of it being the right thing to do.  I've never been through it personally, but I can see even from the outside that it leaves emotional scars and is not an easy undertaking. 

I can't help wondering how Darrell and I could be immune though.  Yes, this blog is called "Secrets of a Happy Marriage," but I'm sure you've guessed by now that we aren't always happy.  Life is tough.  Marriage is tough.  It's hard work.  And, yet, I don't believe that it's either just hard work or just good luck that has gotten us this far.

I'd love to proclaim a guarantee that Darrell and I will be together until one of us dies.  I believe in my heart and soul that this is true.  I absolutely cannot imagine life without him.  I believe our souls are bound together in a way that can't be undone.  And yet, I know that if we let down our guard, we could wake up one day and find ourselves growing apart rather than together. 

And, as I may have mentioned before, if ever I decide to leave Darrell or Darrell decides to leave me, he should fear for his life.  If you know me, you know that I am in no way a violent person.  But if there were reason enough to leave Darrell, I would sincerely want to kill him.  I'm fairly certain of this.

I certainly can't guarantee what the future will hold.  I can only hope that Darrell and I will have each other to rely on, the way we have for 21 years of marriage and over 24 years together.  In the meantime, I am reminded to pray for my marriage and keep up my guard.  I don't want to do this life on my own.



And, to you single moms (and dads) out there, I salute you.  I don't know how you manage without a live-in partner every day, every hour raising kids.

I hope 2014 brings good things to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment