Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hijacking my marriage blog for a tech-related post...

My impressions of the new iPad…

If you had asked me two years ago, I would have told you that there was no way I’d ever own an iPad.  I thought the name was ridiculous (still not a huge fan of the name, but I’ve grown used to it).  I thought Apple was trying to create a market for something that didn’t have a useful purpose (why would I possibly need a tablet when I had my laptop and smartphone?).  And it was expensive!

Then last year my kids wanted tablets.  We tried out a cheap Android tablet for my son, and it was just that – cheap.  There were a few nice things about it, but it ran slow and had a fairly non-responsive touchscreen.  My daughter saved her own money and purchased an iPad 2 in November, while my son had enough to purchase a much nicer Android tablet (the Asus eee pad transformer).

I helped my daughter set up a few things on her iPad.  Despite not being an Apple worshiper, I know my way around most technology, including maintaining the family’s iTunes account/library, ripping our CDs and DVDs, etc.  I started playing around with my son’s tablet after he went to bed some nights.

Yes, I have a small enough laptop, but I leave it docked to a keyboard and huge monitor more than 90% of the time.  It’s for “work”.  Tablets are more for fun, and yes they are more portable.  I started using his tablet to surf the net in bed, for a larger view of new recipes while cooking, etc.  And I liked it.

Still, I intended to wait.  And even then I would have thought I’d purchase an Android-based tablet when the time came.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S II phone, and there’s no way I’d trade it for an iPhone.  But then they had to go and make the iPad screen so incredibly good!  No other tablet on the market can compare right now, and what is a device like this for if not an awesome personal screen?  And so, after hearing me talk about it for only a short time and deciding there was no way he was going to buy me yet another point and shoot camera (the other tech product I was talking about lately), Darrell bought me the new iPad as my early birthday gift.

Here’s what I think so far:

-          The screen really is THAT good.  I downloaded identical pictures to my new iPad and my daughter’s iPad 2.  They look great on the iPad 2.  They just look that much more awesome and true to life on the new iPad.  Some of the “HD” apps being updated for it are great (Flipboard and 500pix are a few examples).  There isn’t enough content out yet for this amazing new screen, but I hope it comes quickly.

-          It’s just very easy to use (until it isn’t).  iOS is the every-man’s mobile operating system.  If you aren’t the kind of person to make a lot of tweaks, I’d say it’s for you overall.  It is smooth, easy to start using right out of the box.  I find myself thinking, “don’t I need to clear some memory, exit out of some apps, clear some cache or something?”  But no, that sort of thing isn’t something you go digging into on iOS the way I think even less advanced Android users do.  The apps, even ones that also exist for Android, seem more streamlined and user-friendly for iOS.  That said, I still miss more detailed menu options that for me at least seem easier to get to in Android than iOS.  And when you really do want to tweak or customize something, it seems more difficult on iOS than Android.  Even early on in my Android owning days, I was able to find work-arounds for Android that I don’t think exist for iOS.

-          I like reading on it better than I thought it would.  I’m not getting rid of my eInk device any time soon for long reading sessions (say an hour plus), but I’ve found myself reading from the new iPad much more often than I do from my phone.  The screen size coupled with the resolution makes text very smooth and easy to read.  I can see someone who has never experienced eInk deciding that this is a good eReader for them, and in fact I’ve heard of many people considering just that.  And of course you have the added benefit of being able to see your favorite magazines in full color.

-          It’s fast.  Jumping from app to app, into and out of the web browser from site to site.  Nothing I’ve done seems to strain the iPad’s processor so far.  And I don’t seem to have the heat issues that some have complained about.

-          The battery lasts and lasts.  In one week of heavy evening use, I’ve only had to charge it once.

-          iOS apps aren’t as expensive as I thought they were, but I have already spent more on them in one week than I have on Android apps in nearly two years.  But I’ve also recently been rethinking my “buy only add-sponsored when possible” strategy for apps, and iOS doesn’t have the equivalent of the Amazon Android App Store where I’ve snagged great deals on the free app of the day many, many times.  There are some sales/specials worth keeping an eye on for iOS, and that has kept me to only about $10 out of pocket on iOS apps so far.
Bottom line, the new iPad is great.  I like it.  And any way you look at it, I believe it’s the best tablet on the market right now and Apple is doing a good job staying a step or two ahead of the competition.  But I still don’t want an iPhone 4 or even 4S (sorry, Siri, I’m just not that into you) over my Samsung Galaxy S II, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.  Oh, and that amazing screen and super-fast processor inside my beautiful new iPad?  Yeah, they are most likely made by Samsung, according to the research I’ve done.

No comments:

Post a Comment